Thursday, October 28, 2010

He Giveth More Grace in the Harvest

I like motivational slogans. I'm not a junkie but I've got them. One I really like is, "You can't discover new oceans unless you are willing to lose sight of the shore." In a way, this is what makes following Christ so exciting. He leads you into areas and lives that are sail boattotally new. But there is risk.

We like to hold on to an ace, a "plan B," something to fall back on just in case "faith" doesn't work and God lets us down. We joke about Peter, but I would have loved to have had that faith even if just for a minute. And hey, Jesus pulled him out. More seriously, Jesus says not to build or fight, as a disciple, before you've considered the cost. The implication here isn't to think it over and say "no," but rather to give everything to Jesus, complete investment, nothing held back.  Jesus and His work are worth it.

So here we are, coming up to our second Thursday evening. So far of the 79 invites we sent out for our four meetings, we have seen no one. We are praying deeply and praying through our next moves, but no one might come tomorrow evening.

So, on Tuesday a friend called and let me know that a local church is looking for a pastor and should he mention my name. I called Jeff, my other partner in crime here, just to pass on the info, but we are both totally convicted that we are following the Lord. This is "spooky." (this is cultural flavor because "you-know-what" is around the corner.) What I mean is that we are both absolutely convinced that the Lord has given us a vision and, actually, a very unique vision. I would have said "no" immediately when I got the call, but I figured I had to take it to the Lord. Then I said no.

But what this means is that we feel that the Lord has led us to lose sight of the shore in wanting to bear fruit in the harvest and make disciples who make disciples who make disciples. We have no people, just a deep conviction and vision. And oddly, we feel the Lord is blessing us.

After reading the Sermon on the Mount, I'm more convinced than ever, that the only discipleship Jesus invited the disciples to was a total commitment to Him and to serving Him in the Harvest. The rewards are only for fools, that is, those who hunger now and worship in secret and see eternity before them as they follow Him in this dark harvest. His promises are for His workers, not for the uncommitted. He bids His disciples to forget the security of this life…that's what the nations seek…and to rest in the Father and seek His kingdom. They are to burn their bridges…or to keep on with the ocean image…to lose sight of the shore, following Him.

A favorite hymn of mine is "He Giveth More Grace." My favorite line is, "When we have exhausted our store of endurance, when our strength has failed 'ere the day is half done, when we reach the end of our hoarded resources, our Father's full giving is only begun." I love that because I feel in some ways I've had the privilege of living that.  It is implied in the Sermon on the Mount.  You’ve got to get here, before you really begin to see His blessings in the Harvest.

To see His Glory and know the riches of Christ's love, we have to get away from our security in people and stuff and live fully in His care, following Jesus as disciples. What a wonderful way to live, sensing His leading and conviction, stepping out after Him into the Harvest, convinced you are doing something important and unique. Losing sight of the shore. Saying "no" to the call to steer the ship back toward "security." Knowing that only here will we see the wonders of God and the Father's reward as we seek to glorify Him and bear much fruit and so prove to be disciples of our Savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment