Sunday, February 13, 2011

February 14, Reading Notes


It's been crazy. Laura and I have been pushing all day to get back into some kind of rhythm. I visited my mom, did some calming and put out some fires, we walked, and our last trip was Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart was a madhouse. I was on a mission, walking several miles per hour faster than anyone else, until finally our target list was in the basket and we were in search of a fast check out. The "10 items or less" lane only had one guy checking out so I got in there quick, knowing we had about 16 items, but this was going to be so fast no one would know. But something was going wrong. The guy in front of me, holding his baby boy, kept sliding his card, but nothing was happening. Now people were standing behind me and I was sure someone would see we had more than 10 items. Then I heard "Insufficient funds" and the checker began pulling stuff out of bags to take off of the $27 dollar total….valentines cards, a Hot Wheels car, other valentinzy stuff. It was breaking my heart. I was standing there writing a novel about the wife and daughters at home and this guy's impulse to show affection knowing he was living on the edge of his account. I've seen this before and knew for sure that the Lord directed me to that checkout lane. I said, "How about if I swipe my card?" No objections. The guy thanked me. I was happy I saw what the Lord was doing and could help, but right now, I'm tired of this planet. It was a reminder to me that I have to keep sharp, looking for the Spirit's leading and that He is always present and always working. As Little Robby Ranger used to say, "A Ranger is a Ranger on duty." So is a disciple.

Exodus 37-38

You know that things are serious on a team when they start going to "two-a-day" practices. I don't know why this hit me as funny, but maybe it's not funny. Maybe I'm ready for "two-a-days" myself.

So, what do you get from this section? God builds furniture! No wonder Jesus was a carpenter.

Just some things that hit me:

The building of this furniture went from the inside out, from the Holy of Holies out to the Holy place. First you have the Ark of the Covenant, used once a year to make atonement for the sins of the nation, appealing to God for His mercy and presence in Israel, fulfilling the covenant of Abraham through His covenant with them as a nation. That's in the Holy of Holies.

Then, on the other side of the veil, in the Holy Place, you have the table for the bread that had to be tended every day. This represented God's gracious, daily provision and His sustaining blessing on Israel. (Any lessons for us disciples here?)

Then you have the lampstand that had to be filled evening and morning so that it would never go out. This represented the leading and guidance that Israel was always to seek. (Any lessons for us disciples here?)

Then the altar of incense that was to be tended morning and evening, that also was never to go out. This represented the constant prayers of the people to God. (Any lessons for us disciples here?)

Now, just outside of the Holy Place, (38:1) was the altar of burnt offering. This was also done twice a day, representing the constant sacrifice in substitution for the ongoing sins of the people. (Any lessons for us disciples here?)

It just hit me how God built in constant cycles of reminders, the bread, the prayers, the light, the need for cleansing from sin, morning and evening. God put the entire nation on "two-a-days." I suppose we don't need more ritual, but, as disciples, what do we do, or do we need to do more, to keep the reality of His grace and our need in the center of our hearts, day and night? I read in the morning. I pray in the morning. Maybe I need to go to "two-a-days."

Matthew 28

What an amazing chapter in the Bible. So, Jesus is risen, but instead of letting the disciples and everyone go ballistic about that, the angels and Jesus kind of go, "yeah, yeah, ok, are you done? Good, now tell them to go to Galilee." Look at verses 7 & 10. I thought that the resurrection was the huge deal? It obviously was, but huge only when applied. Look at v.16. The 11 finally get to Galilee. What was so important about meeting there? The importance for Jesus was the application of the resurrection and the focus of all that He had now accomplished….GO! Verses 18-20 ought to be tattooed on every Christian. We have no other reason to be on earth. What powerful and beautiful verses these are. These are our orders, our mission, our good news, our strength and weapons to fight to save broken people like ourselves. And we've got the power because we've got HIM. This should cause a disciple's heart to beat faster.

Though saved by grace in His sovereign plan, and beloved despite our disobedience, I will never understand a believer who is not reaching out to the lost, making disciples who make disciples.

Notice the order:

Make disciples…..this is belief, entrance into a living, growing, relationship with Christ. The "lordship" aspect is present immediately in belief in Christ, for if Christ is God, God must be worshiped by sheer definition of the word "God." To believe that Jesus is God, is not "a meritorious work." Such silliness and godless discussion.

Baptizing them….this is the step of publicly declaring our devotion to Christ. This must come before teaching. Learning without personal devotion and a mission, leads to, well, look around.

Teaching what? What did Jesus command the disciples? When you begin reading Mark and then Luke and then John, take note of what He tells the disciples. And remember, the motivation to obey is always love. John 14:21-23.

Psalm 34:11-22

I love vs. 18-22. One of these verses is quoted by John when he gives his account of the crucifixion of Jesus. Can you figure out which one?

Proverbs 9:9-10

I feel like I need verse 10 tattooed on my heart. I think of what Paul said:

1 Corinthians 8:1 Now concerning food offered to idols: we know that "all of us possess knowledge." "Knowledge" puffs up, but love builds up. 2 If any one imagines that he knows something, he does not yet know as he ought to know. 3 But if one loves God, one is known by him.

I want to be known by HIM.

Philippians 3:10 that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, 11 that if possible I may attain the resurrection from the dead. 12 Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect; but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. 13 Brethren, I do not consider that I have made it my own; but one thing I do, forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. 15 Let those of us who are mature be thus minded; and if in anything you are otherwise minded, God will reveal that also to you.

Amen, and Happy Valentine's Day.

If you’re reading along and don’t have a One Year Bible, click on this link Every Day in the Word. If that doesn't work, go to http://www.gnpcb.org/esv/devotions/ and click on “Every Day in the Word.” 

I'm writing these comments to and for those at New Song who are following a One Year Bible and involved in a discipleship cell. We're meeting weekly and discussing the texts, not necessarily my comments. We're growing together, learning to become and make disciples who make disciples. We will all be leading others in this process and training them to do likewise.

The comments I'm writing are in no way exhaustive, but meant to give some leading thoughts on how the text applies to us as disciples and to encourage and stimulate our growth in reading the Bible, with the effect that we will grow as disciples and encourage the growth of others as disciples growing in the word. If you would like a more descriptive commentary that is still readable and concise, I'd recommend the Bible Knowledge Commentary. It's keyed to the NIV, so the result is, the commentators are constantly telling you what the Greek or Hebrew is. That never hurts.

I am not endorsing any particular One Year Bible, in fact, no one in our church reads the version I do, die revidierte Lutherbibel 1984.

Anyone reading along with us is welcome to do so and encouraged to take their own notes and make their own observations. If the comments made do not agree with your particular tradition or understanding, that's OK. Nothing I've written is meant to criticize any point of view, but only to express the truth of what God has written to us, as I understand it.

No comments:

Post a Comment