Friday, March 5, 2010

Still getting to know the flighty target group

Yesterday I saw the benefit of diversification. We now have 3 different venues…all low cost… and all 3 bird feeders were hit yesterday. We still have a lot to learn though, but we’re making some good observations.

What I’m noticing about this emerging generation of birds is that they feed on a route, that is, they have a standard feeding journey. It doesn’t matter that they find a pile of seed, they still travel. I would think they would stay put and exhaust the supply, but they’re smarter than that. They visit all the feeding spots and even expand the list, because, who knows, a family moves and the next people don’t feed birds. I think they’re brilliant, and I think God made them that way. If the birds were American consumers, they’d ravish the place like locusts and then move on. But no, they are doing what they are designed to do.

Is it possible that we demand too much of people, absolute true devotion to our church? I know analogies break down and watching birds adapt to their environment is not recommended for church planters, but it does make you think. I have yet to find a church that can meet all the needs of its people, especially in terms of disciple being/making. Our Western churches (traditional, seeker, emerging) seem to academicize, institutionalize and add layers of fat and insulation to people at the speed of light.

The real issue is, are we obeying God, are we leading them into what He considers to be true follower-ship, or just the level of church that makes us feel comfortable and keeps them feeding at our feeder? Is it about Him and them and the lost, or is it about us and this group? The reality of life is that if people entered into true discipleship they might not feel comfortable at some churches, maybe even our churches and they may become less “my group” driven unless the group is driven by mission and discipleship (misscipleship? Or just simple biblical discipleship?).

Anyway, I’m glad their not staving, I’m enjoying seeing them around, and I’m intrigued by the challenge.

Now, back to reading George and Growing True Disciples.

No comments:

Post a Comment