Saturday, March 20, 2010

Good Works in Their Time of Need

 

I have always been struck by how often Paul mentions “good works,” or “good deeds” in Titus and in other places. While the “felt needs” approach might get overworked in our church growth, magic tricks, and secret formulas mentality, it is still very biblical and meant to work in a “line of sight” way. That is, we walk out our doors, see a need in our field of vision (in the network of friends and acquaintances God has given us) and we meet it. Very simple mission.

So I’ve got this goal to feed birds. Weeks ago when I began I felt ignored and rejected. I should have been totally disheartened when I discovered that the couple kitty-corner from us has their deck fixed up like “birds are us.” But hey, there are thousands of birds here and I’ve noticed that they go on a feeding route, always visiting, never exhausting one supply, and always looking for new places to feed.

So on my low budget approach, I’ve made two new feeders. I’ve used old bread. I’ve tried new things and diversified. And just as I was getting going, it got cold again. Actually, last night it snowed and I love it. And then something happened. With all the wind and snow the birds are scrambling for cover. So in an act of compassion (risking the cold and whatever weeds might come later) I just went out and threw some seed in areas I could see they were using for cover, like the back fence. I put seed all over, even on the feeders I made before that they seldom use.

So what? I’ve got birds! All over. They didn’t notice my feeders when things were going well, but in this emergency, with easy seed there for the pecking, Voila!

So what are some applications for church planting

First, a non-stop attitude and interest in cracking the code

Second, the willingness to try all sorts of things

Third, getting to know the “birds” and their needs.

Fourth, having compassion to act when the need arises

Fifth, probably should be first, patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment