Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Following as a Destination


Following as a Destination

The thought of following the Lord seems like a lot of other "requirements." The simple way to follow is just to obey. In a way it seems like the fulfilling of other commands, such as being righteous or being holy, is just to obey. Then, to obey becomes defined as staying out of trouble. If you don't lie or mess up in any big way you're OK. If we're not careful, simply being moral becomes what it means to be a follower of Christ.

So I was reading in John 12 where the Greeks showed up seeking Jesus. Jesus understood their arrival as a signal that the time of His glorification/death/sacrifice had come. Then Jesus became very somber and not only restated what He had said about being a disciple, He intensified it. It was an interesting moment. Here is what Jesus said about following.

John 12:26 RSV - If any one serves me, he must follow me; and where I am, there shall my servant be also; if any one serves me, the Father will honor him.

When I read this it struck me. Following isn't just obedience; it is a destination. It means that Jesus is Himself present, walking into a situation in front of us, expecting us to come in right behind Him. What an interesting thought. It means that when we notice a person and have that thought that maybe we should say something to them, the Lord is standing next to them, waving at us to come over. It means that when a hard situation develops that puts us on the spot, Jesus has already gone into the discussion before us.

I know we know this, at least theoretically, but it is truly true. Jesus' presence is seen in these verses and adds a sense of depth to them.

Phil. 4:5 RSV - Let all men know your forbearance. The Lord is at hand.

Mark 16:20 RSV - And they went forth and preached everywhere, while the Lord worked with them and confirmed the message by the signs that attended it. Amen.

Luke 10:16 RSV - He who hears you hears me, and he who rejects you rejects me, and he who rejects me rejects him who sent me.

Following is actually following. He is doing His work and going before us. He just needs us to follow Him. When people respond, they are responding to Him. If it is rejection, rather than feeling sorry for ourselves, we should think, "Lord, I feel so bad they they threw egg on your head. They have no clue who you are." I think you get the picture.

So, that is what the Spirit nudged me with and it not only makes sense to me as I follow Him in the harvest, it might have also opened my eyes to what it means to walk by faith.

Written on, and sent with great effort from my iPad.

No comments:

Post a Comment