Saturday, December 18, 2010

Waiting in Joy, and Chapters 10 & 11

This morning I was reading in Habakkuk and toward the end are those well known verses 3:16-19
Habakkuk 3:16 I hear, and my body trembles, my lips quiver at the sound; rottenness enters into my bones, my steps totter beneath me. I will quietly wait for the day of trouble to come upon people who invade us. 17 Though the fig tree do not blossom, nor fruit be on the vines, the produce of the olive fail and the fields yield no food, the flock be cut off from the fold and there be no herd in the stalls, 18 yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation. 19 GOD, the Lord, is my strength; he makes my feet like hinds' feet, he makes me tread upon my high places. To the choirmaster: with stringed instruments.
waiting-on-the-benchThe first thing that struck me was the waiting. More and more I understand that waiting is a normal part of striving for the Lord in the Harvest. It is needing the Lord for a door or a person or for protection. I don't understand life without waiting on God, asking Him to make a heart soft or to grant an opportunity, to see people saved and to see disciples make disciples who make disciples….
Then at the end, verse 18, makes me think of something I wrote before…rejoicing in God is the default setting in waiting and trouble. Our salvation is set and secure and is the, really, only great thing about us, but what a great thing. It is a security greater and deeper and stronger and more eternal than anything going, besides God. This morning I read, "And no one know the Father except the Son and anyone to whom He chooses to reveal Him. Come to me…"
Laura and I are waiting for some stuff, the right stuff, and none of it is coming easy, but it's coming. So we're on our knees and waiting…with joy, rejoicing in the God of our Salvation.

LOOKING OUT FOR NUMBER ONE Chapter 10
Copyright 1994 Daniel G. Kachikis

The story has been removed from the blog as of June 2015 and is now an e-book on Kindle. The Amazon link is




No comments:

Post a Comment